By: Judy Davie - The Food Coach
First let's start by what's fruit and what's veg and what's something else completely.
For example, did you know that:
1. Botanically bananas are berries that grow on a herb.
2. Tomatoes are a fruit
3. Rhubarb is a vegetable
4. Artichoke is a flower
5. Botanically the reproductive part of a plant which contains seeds are known as fruits which makes eggplant, olives, avocados, okra, cucumber, pumpkin, capsicum and zucchini all fruit.
Beyond that here are some other things you may not know.
6. Bananas are all cloned from a single banana plant in southeast Asia Every which means that every single banana is exactly the same banana.
7. Onions are the most commonly used vegetables in the world
8. The enzyme bromelain found in pineapples can not only break down protein fibres in meat but can also break down our taste buds.
9. Kiwi fruit contains almost twice the amount of vitamin C as the same weight of orange.
10. Potatoes were the first vegetable grown in space
11. Cabbage appears to be the oldest known vegetable and started as a wild plant somewhere in Europe before 1000 BC.
12. In ancient times, watermelon was used as a portable source of water in the deserts of Africa.
How many of these fun facts did you know? Tell us what else you know about fresh produce or ask a question below.
Be the first to comment!